I started by cutting a generous piece of muslin. It really depends on your end use, in deciding how large a piece of papercloth to make. I always make a pretty big piece so that I have a lot on hand. The process takes a while, so it makes sense to make a bigger piece. I laid the muslin onto a plastic bag, or other piece of plastic. You want to be able to peel it up later from the surface.
Next I took tissue paper, or other thin papers, and stamped images randomly onto the tissue paper. I used my hand carved stamps and StazOn Ink to add the images. I tore the tissue paper into smaller pieces.
Then I mixed white glue with water until I got a pretty runny mix. It takes a bit to get the glue mixed into the water well. I made up a small tub of this mixture. I brushed the glue onto the muslin a section at a time and laid down the pieces of tissue paper and brushed glue over the top. I kept layering until the entire piece of muslin was covered by the tissue paper. It doesn't matter if the tissue tears a bit or gets wrinkled because this will just add texture.
Next I added color by dropping on acrylic inks in blues and greens. I used some iridescent colors to add shimmer to the papercloth. I gently blended the inks and spread them around until all the tissue had color. I let the piece dry completely, which sometimes takes a couple of days.
I also satin stitched all the way around the outside edge. I used strips of tear away stabilizer to make this process easier. It also strengthens the edge of the journal. After the stitching was done, I tore away the excess stabilizer.